What do you do with leftover ham? A tasty ham and bean concoction of course! The bone or hock add an extra layer of deliciousness, but leftover scraps are great as well.
Yield: 6-8 ish generous portions
- 1 Ham hock, or ham bone and ham scraps
- 1 tbsp Olive oil
- 1 lb Dried Navy Beans
- 1 Large onion – peeled and chopped
- 6 cloves Minced garlic
- 1 tbsp Fresh Thyme leaves
- 2 tsp Ground Cumin
- 1 tsp Crushed Red Pepper
- 10 cups Water
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- 2-3 Carrots chopped
- 2-3 celery stalks chopped
- Start by soaking the beans in water overnight to prep for cooking. You can also do a fast method and boil for 10 minutes, and soak for an hour.
- When the beans are ready. Saute the ham hock, onions, (carrots and celery) and garlic in olive oil. Then add the beans, herbs, spices, and water. Simmer for an hour to soften the beans and draw the flavor out of the bone.
- Enjoy with some crusty bread!