This one surprised us and turned out much better than expected despite minimal ingredients. What do you do with some extra brats in your freezer, a bit of leftover cabbage, a few potatoes, and some apples you’re not going to snack on? Throw them together in a skillet!
- Brown all sides of the brats in a big skillet or Dutch oven on medium high heat.
- If there’s not enough oil from the sausages, add some olive oil. Sauté the onion until tender.
- While the onion cooks, cube the potatoes into small chunks (¼ -½”) and add to the pan.
- While the potato cooks, core and slice the cabbage to about ¼” thickness. Add it to the pan.
- While the cabbage cooks, quarter and core the apples. Chop to ½” pieces. Add the apple and cook until the apple is tender but not mushy.
- Remove from heat, stir in vinegar, and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Serve with your favorite mustard.
Yield: 4 servings
4 brats, thawed
1 Tbsp olive oil
1 large onion
3 small potatoes
1 small head of cabbage
2 medium apples (tart is better)
2 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
Salt and pepper to taste